Business Visitor Visa (B-1) - For business-specific purposes 
The chart below is an overview of key groupings of temporary business related travel permitted on business visitor visas (Note: This is not comprehensive). We can discuss all of your options in depth at our consultation.

Purpose of Your Travel

About Your Temporary Visit 


Athlete, Professional
Receives no salary or income from a U.S.-based company/entity, other than prize money for participation in a tournament or sporting event. Try-outs for a professional team, but cannot remain in US playing on US team.

Athletes or team members who seek to enter the United States as members of a foreign based team in order to compete with another sports team shall be admitted provided:
  1. The foreign athlete and the foreign sports team have their principal place of business or activity in a foreign country;
  2. The income of the foreign based team and the salary of its players are principally accrued in a foreign country; and
  3. The foreign-based sports team is a member of an international sports league or the sporting activities involved have an international dimension. 
 Business venture, investor seeking investment Survey potential sites for a business and/or to lease premises in US. Cannot remain in US to manage business.
 Conference, meeting, trade show or business event attendee Will receive no salary or income from a U.S based company/entity. For scientific, educational, professional or business purposes.
Exposition or trade show employees of foreign exhibitors at international fairs (excludes government representatives) Will receive no salary or income from a U.S based company/entity. Will plan, assemble, dismantle, maintain, or be employed in connection with exhibits at international fairs or expositions.

Lecturer or speaker
 No salary or income from a U.S. based company/entity, other than expenses incidental to the visit. If honorarium will be received, activities can last no longer than nine days at any single institution or organization; payment must be offered by an institution or organization described in INA 212(q); honorarium is for services conducted for the benefit of the institution or entity; and visa applicant will not have accepted such payment or expenses from more than five institutions or organizations over the last six months
 Researcher  Independent research, no salary/income from a US based source, or benefit to US institution.
 Sales/selling Exhibition/taking orders/negotiating and signing contracts for products, which must be produced outside the U.S.
 Service engineer (Commercial, Industrial) Engineer(s) install, service or repair commercial or industrial equipment or machinery sold by a non-US company to a U.S. buyer, when specifically required by the purchase contract. Installation cannot include construction work, except for supervision or training of US workers to perform construction.
 TrainingParticipating in a training program that is not designed primarily to provide employment. Will receive no payment or income from a U.S. based company/entity, other than an expense allowance or expense reimbursement related to traveler’s stay.

Seeking Employment or Work in the U.S.? 

If your purpose of planned travel and facts about your visit does not fit within the description above, you’ll probably need another type of visa. If you are seeking to come to the United States on a temporary basis to 
work, be employed, and/or be paid by a U.S.-based company as a skilled or unskilled worker, you will need a temporary worker type of visa. In these situations, the prospective employer must file with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of the foreign prospective employee, a nonimmigrant visa petition accompanied by an approved labor certification.

 Purpose of Your Travel

About Your Temporary Visit
Type of Visa


Payment, income, salary will be paid to you by U.S. based company or business entity.
Temporary Worker Visa (H,L,O, P, Q visas and more)
Internship  Practical training through an internship with a U.S. based employer, whether paid or unpaid by that company.Temporary worker trainee (H-3) or Exchange Visitor (J) visa 
Researcher Independent research, will receive U.S. payment, or benefit to US institution.  Temporary Worker
(H-1B) Visa or Exchange Visitor (J) Visa.

Whether you are seeking a visa for a valuable new hire or you are seeking a visa for yourself or a family member, we can help you obtain the status you need.