Family-Based Visas

Petitions for Family Members

Citizens of the United States, as well as legal permanent residents (sometimes called "green card holders"), may petition for visas on behalf of their relatives. This includes spouses, children, parents, siblings,and fiances. An overview of who may petition and for what immigration benefit is listed on the right.

Preference Categories

Although you may petition for a relative, the United States government has certain preference categories for family members who are not immediate relatives. Those relatives are subject to annual numerical limits. This means your relative may or may not have to wait for their visa depending upon their category and country of origin.
  1. First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens (adult means 21 or older.)
  2. Second Preference (2A): Spouses of green card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents
    Second Preference (2B):  Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents
  3. Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens
  4. Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizen.

Petitioner and Relief Matrix

Type of Relative for Whom You May Petition

Immigration Benefit
  • Spouse
  • Children (unmarried and under 21)
  • Sons and Daughters (married and/or 21 and older)
  • Parents, if you are 21 or over
  • Siblings, if you are 21 or over
Green Card
(Permanent Residence)
  •  A fiance residing outside of the United States and children of fiance under 21
Fiance Visa
  •  Spouse
  • Children of Spouse (unmarried and under 21)
K-3/K-4 Nonimmigrant Visa

At the Law Office of Nathan G. Frazier, we have the experience and knowledge to answer any family based immigration questions. Further, we can also analyze alternative paths to bringing your relatives into the United States which do not involve extended waiting periods. Let us take out the worry and complexity of family-based immigration.